McCallum Place Family Education and Support Programs:
McCallum Place is pleased to offer the following programs to our patient’s loved ones as a means of support and education. We recommend all families and loved ones participate. We value the important role the patient's support system has in the treatment process and encourage loved ones to partner with our clinical team in becoming part of the solution. We recognize higher recovery rates are often associated with providing loved ones the support and education they need to be part of the recovery process and treatment works best when the family is involved. We have specifically designed the following family programs because we believe loved ones are a great resource to one struggling with an eating disorder.
"The family therapy experience was very helpful because it opened up an avenue to freely talk to my parents. Though I always had a good relationship with them, my therapist set up an environment to help them understand my thoughts and the eating disorder."
– MR, age 20
Families of adult patients are strongly encouraged to meet with the patient’s clinical team on a regular basis. Please call or email the patient’s assigned therapist and assigned psychiatrist to schedule your family sessions in advance.
All families of minors (patients under the age of 18 years old), will have weekly family sessions. This session can be facilitated in a mode that best meets a particular family’s needs (e.g., via phone, or shorter sessions of 30 minutes, etc.).
Multifamily Weekly Support Group
McCallum Place St. Louis
Location: McCallum Place Conference Room
231 W. Lockwood Ave., St. Louis, MO 63119
McCallum Place offers a weekly Monday evening multifamily group. This group takes place in the McCallum Place Conference Room every Monday (excluding holidays) from 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm. There is no need to RSVP; however if you'd like to participate via phone conference, please contact Ginger Olmsted at 1-888-749-5796.
Don’t miss our Family Days, a comprehensive set of six distinct curricula for family, friends and significant support persons of McCallum Place patients. Each Family Day focuses on how to practically and effectively help family members best support their loved ones by looking at medical complications, research, communication strategies, resources, practical tools, and support with the time and resources families invest in eating disorder treatment.
McCallum Place St. Louis Family Day is held at our Therapy Suite, 231 W. Lockwood Ave, Ste. 201 in Webster Groves, on the third Saturday of every month from 8:00 am - 3:00 pm. Continental breakfast is provided. Reservations are strongly encouraged to help us plan for attendance. To RSVP, please contact Ginger Olmsted at 1-888-749-5796.
McCallum Place Columbia Family Day: Coming Soon!
McCallum Place Kansas City Family Day: Coming Soon!
Family Skills: Topics for Focus in Therapeutic Work with Families Struggling with Eating Disorders
by Dr. Kim McCallum, MD
- Become familiar with individual core struggles
- Understand ED Mindset and function of behaviors
- Recognize common internal struggles that interfere with recovery
- Recognize hungry brain and how it complicates treatment
- Learn to cope with body image distortion
- Model and embrace healthy eating, understand special nutritional needs of recovery
- Learn about the role of exercise in illness and recovery
- Be mindful of developmental concerns
- Expect and learn to adjust to varying levels of motivation
- Get real… know what causes eating disorders, learn to debunk myths
- Break the silence, identify vulnerabilities in the family
- Understand temperamental risk factors
- Create a protective family culture; be aware of how our culture is toxic
- Identify boundary struggles, learn how to develop healthy boundaries
- Learn key components of treatment
- Learn when to step in and step back
- Learn to move towards responses with emotional balance
- Commit to self care
- Consider Family Based Treatment or Family Therapy