Because binge eating disorder is both an emotional and behavioral disorder, there are both behavioral and emotional symptoms related to this disorder.
Behavior Symptoms of Binge Eating Disorder include:
- An inability to stop eating or control what you are eating
- Rapidly eating large amounts of food, especially foods that are high in fat or sugar
- Eating even when you are full or beyond the point of feeling full
- Hiding or stockpiling food to eat later in secret
- Eating normally around others, but gorging when you are alone
- Eating continuously throughout the day, with no planned meal times
Emotional Symptoms of Binge Eating Disorder include:
- Feeling stress or tension that is only relieved by eating
- Feeling embarrassment over how much you are eating
- Feeling numb while binge eating – as if you are not really there or on auto-pilot
- Never feeling satisfied, no matter how much you eat
- Feeling guilty, disgusted, or depressed after overeating
- Experiencing feelings of desperation in order to control weight and eating habits
If you or a loved one are experiencing symptoms of binge eating disorder contact McCallum Place to learn about our binge eating treatment programs in St Louis and Kansas City.